Saturday, August 17, 2013

Taco Lasagna or Tacozagna

Lol, ok I don't think this is a new idea but I felt like I was inventing something new when I made it. I really winged it here on this but it came out great. Everyone loved it. I had my doubts while making it but even I liked it.

I started off by browning some hamburger in one of my big pots. I tossed a diced onion in there pretty early on too.

After that's all browned you want to add your taco seasoning. You could use a packet but I don't believe in those so I mixed my own spices.

Here is the combo and ratio I used for 1 lb of hamburger:

1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano (or Italian herb blend)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper (depending on how much you like pepper)

Dump that in with your ground beef and you're well on your way. Next I added some red kidney beans and some great northern beans. These might seem odd for something taco in nature but trust me here. It works! If things are a bit dry at this point you can add a little oil. We always have olive oil so that is what I used. Besides we are blending Mexican and Italian here so it's ok, right?

It should look something like this at this point.


Now the fun part!

Spread some oil in the bottom of your pan. Now make a layer of tortillas over that. Next I added some of my funky concoction and spread it around. Then sprinkle some Mexican cheese on top. Add more tortillas and repeat until you run out of room. I added a layer of salsa to one of the layers too but I only had enough for one layer so all the other layers were just this mixture and then covered in cheese. Make sure when you get to the end you dump any juices left in the pot right over the top. Then give it a "healthy" coating of cheese. Then I topped it all off with some chopped up green onions.

Now bake in the oven uncovered for 15 - 20min at 400 degrees. This cuts and serves remarkably well. I was surprised. It also reheats well which I didn't expect. I thought for sure it would be soggy and yucky the next day but it wasn't. Hooray!!!




No comments: