Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Small Fry Skinny Jeans (Galaxy style)

I got the chance last week to participate in a sew-a-long and I jumped at it. I'm so thrilled I did. It took me a while to try sewing pants but thanks to Dana from made I got the extra push to do it. They were great and I learned a lot. I even drafted my own shorts pattern afterward. However it's been a while and I was ready to move onto the next step. Lucky for me Laura over at craftstorming.com came through. I learned so much from this project. I'm really glad I committed to participating because honestly if I would have seen the whole tutorial first then I may have thought it looked like to much work and passed on it. Breaking it down into days and knowing there were other people working on it at the same time was encouraging though. Plus this pattern was a piece of cake using Laura's clear pictures and easy to follow tutorial.


This was a lot of fun and if you've made pants but you've never done an adjustable waist or a faux fly before then you need to try it. This is the perfect project to learn with. I think I'll make a few more pairs and now that I know how to do those two things I will probably draft a couple more patterns soon.

I did have a couple problems along the way. However everything was due to my own error and easily remedied. The biggest change I made was that my pair are fully lined in bright orange. I should have taken pics of this however I was to anxious to try them on my little man. Why did I line them you ask? Well the fabric I chose ended up being much much thinner then I realized. However it ended up being a happy accident. Other then the obvious beautiful pop of color it adds to the inside and how lovely it matches the orange thread I top stitched with it also will make them a little warmer for the fall and winter months which are quickly approaching.


Oh and what does Fox think of them?


SUCCESS! Oh and they fit perfectly! My little man wears 2t to 3t but 3t are way long on him. I would say overall these fit him like a 3t everywhere but length. So if you have a tall thin child then I would try testing it in the smaller size your child normally wears and lengthening them. Then again they do have an adjustable waist so you could always go up a size and button them tighter. However they may not look as much like skinny jeans if you do that.

I've been hoarding that vintage galaxy print for something special but I never thought of using them on pants until I started raiding my stash for this project. I think they look like some sort of cool combination of "Star Wars" meets "Back To The Future". What do you think? Do you like how they came out? What do they make you think of? 

No comments: