Thursday, January 23, 2014

How to Kill Creativity

Not that you would want to but if you would like to know how to both kill creativity and also give someone a bitter resentment towards a type of animal they have always adored in one fail swoop then I have the answer. Put a litter box in their teeny tiny craft room and then populate it with 2 stinky cats that track litter from one end of the room to the other and enjoy spending the rest of their time laying in the middle of and scratching holes in whatever you are currently working on.
This is the beast cat that I hate the least like the most between the two. 

I spent several months not wanting to even think about anything sewing or craft related. It bugged me so much because I have never been that way. Then it hit me. It's not really a creative slump I'm in. It's not that I don't want to create anymore. It's that I can't stand going in that stinky little room and having two cats walk directly under my feet with each and every step. It's that I can't stand picking up a project that I spent so much time and effort on and it looking like a swatch of orange shag carpet regardless of what the fabric started out as.

My entire life I have grown up with cats. I love cats. I really do. Or at least I did..... Now I find myself resenting them for taking over my room. What we all USED to call "the sewing room" which has been re-dubbed "the kitty room". I used to tell the kids to stay out of the sewing room because there could be stray sewing pins somewhere in there. Now I tell them to stay out of the kitty room because that's where the litter box is. YUCK!

So do I dislike cats now? Or is it just a temporary resentment until we find a different kitty solution? Is it all cats or just these stinky hairballs?

Granted it's been 6 years since we had a cat before we got these two. So is it that I just never realized how yucky they can be? Or are these two cats just not what I'm accustomed to from the feline world? Is it because now I have kids and now I'm more germ-a-phobic for their safety? Am I alone in this? Has anyone else had an experience like this?

No comments: