Monday, September 9, 2013

Pop Over Sundress Remix (PRP)

This is a project run and play post. Hence the "PRP" in the title. I've decided to sew along this time instead of just ooh and ahhh. The theme this week was to remix the popover sundress from Oliver & S.

Let me start by saying "wow!". This dress is really open to the possibilities. There are a lot of different directions you can take this in. It took me a while to figure out just what I wanted to do. I finally settled one a design I liked though.








As you can see I've been a little busy.





I added the bib with the rickrack and the buttons.





And I added two sweet little pockets to the front with a rickrack detailing. You can also see the double bands of bias tape I made for the bottom.

You would think I liked bias tape with all that I made for this dress but let me assure you I despise making it. I did at least find this lovely tutorial which at least made me feel a little better about making it since it reduced the amount of waste to nearly nothing. It's still a pain in the butt to do though. I think part of the problem is that I seriously need a better iron. The one I have eats the fabric as it goes along. BLAH!





As you can see the pockets have been approved.





I debated that double band of bias at the bottom. I'm glad I added it though because I like how it looks. Oh and I almost forgot. I decided I did not want to hassle with tying and retying straps on a busy almost 6 yr old. So I made them into normal straps no ties. Although I may hand sew some bows on eventually. I'm not sure it really needs it though.

So what do you think? Do you like the changes I made? Should I have done something differently? Please let me know. I'd love too hear your thoughts. :-)

Don't forget to check out the other amazing entries that other ladies have made for this dress too. Project run and play always has so much talent both in the actual contestants and in the sew along group.

No comments: