Friday, April 5, 2013

New fridge and new food

We got a new refrigerator and it's great. We were needing a new one really badly because the door on our old one was bent and didn't seal closed. We were saving up and we were really wanting one with a freezer on the bottom.

So at bunco I let everyone know we had a working but not great refrigerator to donate to anyone who needed one. Well good thing I did because one of the ladies there was selling a very nice fridge. It was everything we wanted in a fridge and then some. One of those super fancy ones we would have never been able to buy. She sold it to us for the amount we had allocated as "new fridge money". So we didn't go over budget at all but now we have a super nice one.

Ok so I told you that story to tell you this one. While the "men folk" moved this monster of a fridge I was watching the kids. This meant our 4 (which I'm used too) plus the two little boys of our friends who were helping move the leviathan. Let me tell you it's a lot of work watching 6 kids. Especially when two of them aren't yours. They aren't bad children. That is not what I'm getting at. It's just that watching someone else's children is different. You don't know their rules, likes, dislikes, what they need help with ect. Plus you don't want to enforce your rules for your children on someone else's kids or let your kids get away with those things when they know better. You get the idea.

Well one thing really stood out to me as different between our kids and the one little boy. I've been thinking about it all week and wondering about it. The one little boy wanted a snack. With no fridge around I only had non-fridge foods which meant no good stuff like fruit. So I offered him goldfish or fig bars. He looked them both over and said "I've never had those before". Referring of course to the fig bars. When I hear that phrase from my children it means that's the one they want. They are all about the adventure of trying new things. So I of course said "oh you want that one then?". Lol, he looked at me kind of funny like maybe I was trying to poison him or something and said "I'll take the goldfish". I was slightly in shock. I'm not used to that sort of response to the offer a new food. Usually such an offer elicits an excited yes, gleeful giggles, and jumps of joy. Then again my kids dream dinner is taranchulas. Nope, I'm not kidding. We saw them on "bizzare foods" and now that has been on Ember's most desired foods list for the past two years.   
So what kind of eaters do you have? Do you have the adventurous type that can't wait to try something new? Or do you have an eater who is more timid around new foods?

No comments: