Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu Crockpot Style

This is a huge hit in our house. Everyone loves it and it's one of those things that IF there are left overs then everyone asks to finish them the next day. Honestly it's like a combination between chicken cordon bleu and chicken alfredo. Chicken alfredo bleu?

I adapted it from two different recipes. One was for cream of anything soup and one was for crockpot cordon bleu. I always change a recipe when I cook it. Even when I try I always manage to change a recipe in some way. Everyone likes my cooking though so I guess I must be doing something right.

First mix up your powdered seasoning in a ziplock baggy or an empty spice jar so you can save the extra for another recipe.

The powdered mix recipe I have here will leave you with more then you need but that's ok because you can use it for loads of different things. For this recipe you will only need around 2 tablespoons full.

The powder recipe:

3/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp garlic powder 
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes or powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning

Combine your 2 tbsp into a full can of evaporated milk and 1 cup regular milk. Add 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and mix.

Next pour enough of this mixture in your crock pot to cover the bottom.Then put your whole chicken breasts (2-4 breasts) in your crockpot and add around 2 tsp olive oil right over the top. Then layer a few slices of deli ham or you can use Canadian bacon like I did this time. Don't over do it because chicken should be the main meat flavor in this but you do want to have a taste of the ham.

Now cover with at least two different types of cheeses. You have a lot of options on cheeses if you aren't the kind of foodie who feels that cordon blue can ONLY be done with ____. Basically anything that melts well and isn't super overpowering will work fine. This time I used pre-shredded mozzarella and a three cheese blend. Usually I use mild white cheddar and whatever else is in the house.

Drop in 2 tblspoons of butter and cover everything with the remainder of your mixture and cook for 4-5 hours or until done. I recommend checking on it from time to time just to mix it and see how it's doing. As it starts getting closer to done you can begin shredding the check while it's still in the crockpot.

When it looks done make sure your chicken is nice and shredded and everything is mixed well. Then serve over linguine noodles (I prefer the spinach kind) and sprinkle over some fried onions.

So what do you think? If you try this I would LOVE to hear your opinions. Tell us what you think. :-) 
 

Here are the links to the original recipes that helped me to create mine:

cream of anything soup recipe
chicken cordon bleu

No comments: