Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oh dear!

When we moved into our house last September one of the first things we did was buy an apple tree sapling to plant in our back yard. We want to grow some of our own food and who doesn't love apples? Well a couple weeks ago I was checking her out and seeing how to see if she had any new growth on her. To my surprise there was NONE! In fact it looked as though something had chewed it all away. I told my husband I thought it looked like a dear was eating our tree. However I was skeptical that was the case since we live in the middle of a neighborhood. So we left the topic and continued our day.

Fast forward to this weekend......

I woke up at 4:30 in the morning with this feeling like something wasn't right. I tossed and turned and tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. Finally I woke up my husband and told him about my feelings and he being the wonderful patient man that he is asked if I he should go check the house. He got to the kitchen and called for me to come quickly and quietly. Needless to say that is a little scary considering the circumstances but I did as he said.

Right there in the middle of our back yard was doe laying down and resting. Probably after having a good nosh on our apple tree. So now we have to decide if we want to do something to deter her from coming to our yard so we can have apples someday or if we would rather keep our furry guest coming back. What a difficult choice. I suppose if it is just that one tree and she leaves the others alone then that maybe an acceptable sacrifice to have the company of our lovely guest.

She's been here at least 2 straight nights. My husband tried to take her picture but unfortunately he doesn't know how to take a picture at night so this black picture with two shiny eyes is all I have to share with you for now. ;-)

No comments: